Sunday, February 3, 2008

Weeks 4 and 5, welding and painting.

Sorry for skipping a week, but the kids are banned from welding and most of you seem to follow their comments more than mine.

I finished the welding last week. I'd like to say that I got better at it and will now be welding titanium bike frames from leftover SR-71 parts. I'd like to say that, but I can't. My welding skills did improve to the point that my welds look o.k. now that they are covered with seam sealer and undercoating.

I hope you like the picture. I am known as "the handsomest man in the family." That is right, with a wife and three daughters I am the only man in the family.

It was great to have the girls back helping me this weekend. On Friday night Elsa and I painted the new sheet metal with RustBullet protective paint. We also filled the seams on the rear valence repair. I love the smell of Bondo in the evening, smells like... project car. On Saturday we painted, seam sealed and undercoated. All three kids had RustBullet stuck to their fingers and I had it on my fingers and nose. I learned an important lesson, no matter how much your nose itches, do not scratch it with paint covered hands. Today we painted the trunk.

I am excited to be done with the welding. The next step will be to pull the front fenders so we can pound out and fill some dents.

Several people have remarked that they were unable to post comments. You must register in order to post comments.

Thanks,


Steve


Elsa: Today (Feb.3), we spray painted the trunk. Yesterday we put on seam sealer. On Friday we put Bondo on. I liked spray painting because it was easy and not very messy. I liked working with the Bondo because it was just an interesting texture, especially when it had dried. Seam sealer was interesting, because it was like a can of semi-liquid putty.

Greta: We spray painted the trunk. We used black paint. We used a device that you squeeze to help you spray. We used paint thinner to get paint off our hands. Spray painting was fun but I did not like the smell.

Ingrid: I liked painting. I also held the light, which was very fun. We were working on it because there was rust. Brigita says: "Hello, I love you!"

No comments: